No crisis powers for Arroyo over Mindanao blackouts
Posted by akosistella on March 7, 2010
MANILA, Philippines–Speaker Prospero Nograles on Saturday ruled out calling a special session of Congress to address the power crisis in Mindanao, saying that none of the House members had been able to commit themselves to such a session.
“It’s final. Most congressmen may not be able to attend,” Nograles said.
He said President Macapagal-Arroyo had also reconsidered her plan to call Congress to a special session to address the power crisis in Mindanao.
Palace: No rush for special session on power crisis
Malacañang on Saturday said it is willing to wait until June for Congress to hold a special session, if it so wishes, to grant President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo special powers aimed at addressing a looming energy crisis in the country.
In an interview aired over government-run dzRB radio, deputy presidential spokesperson Ricardo Saludo said Mrs. Arroyo is willing to wait until June for Congress to resume session, if it cannot muster the numbers to convene a special session now.
“Ang pangulo, ‘di tatawag ng special session kung alam niya ang leader ng Kongreso, ‘di mabubuo ang quorum (The president will not call a special session if she knows the Congress leaders cannot produce a quorum),” Saludo said.
FINALLY, THE TRUTH:
Gov’t failed to move in averting power crisis—energy exec
[Energy Undersecretary Zamzamin] Ampatuan admitted that the government did not have a concrete energy plan prior to the power crisis that the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines officials have blamed on the dry spell.
The NGCP said Agus in Lanao del Sur and Pulangi in Bukidnon have been running way below the rated capacity because water level declined rapidly during the past weeks.
“We always say we have generated 60 percent of our power from hydroelectric plants, yet we did not plan to have alternative sources,” Ampatuan said.
MEANWHILE: Villar wants power barges instead