DoJ order to clear 2 Ampatuans assailed
Posted by akosistella on April 19, 2010
•Protesters suspect ‘collusion’
MANILA, Philippines-A Justice Department move to drop murder charges against two members of the Ampatuan clan who were previously implicated in the Maguindanao massacre has reaped a whirlwind of protests.
One senator lambasted the action of Justice Secretary Alberto Agra as pure hogwash. Others suspected it was done in exchange for votes for President Macapagal-Arroyo’s candidates in the May 10 elections, while one lawyer said it proved the victims of the massacre would not get justice under the present administration.
A Roman Catholic Church official, Bishop Deogracias Iñiguez, said one could not help but suspect “a collusion” between the administration and the Ampatuans.
Palace on Ampatuan case: Don’t look at GMA
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang described yesterday as “obscene” allegations that President Arroyo was behind the exoneration of two Ampatuan family members blamed for the massacre of 57 people in Maguindanao last year.
Deputy presidential spokesman Gary Olivar said such allegations could only further muddle the effort to seek speedy justice for the massacre victims.
“It is obscene to insinuate that the President would interfere for any kind of political or personal reason in the legal proceedings of a heinous crime like the Maguindanao massacre,” Olivar said.
LAST WEEK: Andal Ampatuan is for Villar