DOJ chief denies he was paid to absolve 2 Ampatuans
Posted by akosistella on April 20, 2010
MANILA, Philippines – Acting Justice Secretary Alberto Agra on Tuesday denied allegations he was paid to absolve 2 leaders of the Ampatuan clan from the Maguindanao massacre.
He also threatened to file a case against one of the private prosecutors representing the family of the 57 people killed in Maguindanao province last year.
“Sa ngayon ay pinag-iisipan ko ang aking options sa kanyang pahayag na ako ay nabayaran (I’m studying my options against her statement that I was paid),” Agra told radio dzMM, referring to Nena Santos, lawyer for the families of the massacre victims.
Agra said it's easy for Santos to make unfounded allegations because she has no accountability. He said there is no truth to Santos's allegations.
Santos said on Monday that money could have been a factor in Agra’s decision to exonerate suspended Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) Governor Zaldy Ampatuan and former Mamasapano town mayor Akmad Ampatuan Sr. from the Maguindanao massacre.