Agra may reconsider after witness emerges — Palace
Posted by akosistella on April 26, 2010
The emergence of a new witness linking two Ampatuan clan members to the massacre of 57 people in Maguindanao last November 23 may prompt acting Justice Secretary Alberto Agra to reconsider his order clearing them of the murder charges, Malacañang said on Sunday.
Deputy presidential spokesman Gary Olivar said Agra had kept an open mind on the matter, to the point of setting up a committee to review his ruling.
“That may be new evidence. People should expect Secretary Agra to consider [the evidence] during the review,” Olivar said on government-run dzRB radio.
Agra resignation calls mount
MANILA, Philippines – Two administration senatorial candidates have joined calls for the resignation of Justice Secretary Alberto Agra, saying his clearing of two members of the Ampatuan clan in last year’s Maguindanao massacre has cast doubts on his credibility as justice chief.
Former justice secretary Silvestre Bello III and broadcaster Rey Langit, Lakas-Kampi-CMD senatorial candidates, said Agra gained “public distrust” because of his move clearing Gov. Zaldy Ampatuan of the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao and Maguindanao Vice Gov. Akmad Ampatuan in the massacre of 57 people, including 32 journalists and two lawyers.
“This is just my personal thought, but I hope Secretary Agra will consider it because of the public outcry against his decision clearing the Ampatuans,” Bello said.
via Phil. Star
SO why is Malacañang speaking on behalf of Secretary Agra? Thought it didn’t have anything to do w/ Agra’s decision dismissing the charges against Zaldy and Akmad Ampatuan? Hmmm…